DIY Know How
Hiring a Professional Painter
Your time is valuable and sometime you just want a professional painter to do the job for you. Finding the right professional is the most important decision in any home improvement so make sure you follow our top tips for hiring a professional painter.
Lots of ideas but lack of time is commonly the drive to find a professional painter. Using a professional painter takes the stress out of painting the exterior or interior of your home, and finding the right one is the most important decision in any home improvement project.
Hiring a professional painter
One assured way to find a trustworthy professional painter is by using our Haymes Preferred Painter service, currently available to residents in most areas in Victoria, NSW, SA and QLD.
Outside of these areas, the best way to find a quality painting contractor is to get referrals from friends, neighbours, and acquaintances who have had good experiences with the paint contractors they've used. You can also get referrals from your local Haymes retailer.
Making sure it's the right professional painter
Use these tips to narrow down your choices and ensure you get the right professional for your project.
Check Credentials & Experience
Always ask contractors the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have the proper/required licenses? (This varies by state, and some states may not require licensing.)
- Do you have insurance and bonding? (This helps determine whether your painter and any hired workers are insured for injury and liability.)
- Are you a member of any national or local painting contractors' associations?
- Do you subcontract your work or perform it yourself?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer written guarantees of your work?
- Does your quote include preparation and clean up?
- Do you use high quality paint products? (Eg: Haymes Interior Expressions and Solashield perfomance result in a superior finish and durability)
Following these tips can help you to gather important information about their credentials, experience and previous perfomance.
If you want further help selecting a professional painter please check our Haymes Preferred Painters program.