Outdoor wall art is becoming increasingly popular, particularly as more options continue to become available – from decorative timber pieces to acrylic artworks, metal sculptural designs and so much more.
Unfortunately many of these gorgeous artwork options come with a less attractive price tag which is why today, we’re showing how to create your own DIY wall art for next to nothing!
You will need:
- 1 piece Corflute
- Paints (we used a range of Haymes colours including Pale Ivy, Ocean’s Runway, Evans Delight, Greyology 1, Coral Serenade, Impact and Gold)
- Measuring tape
- Hanging wire
- Glue gun
- Stanley knife
- Paint brush
- Sticky tape
1. Measure and draw a large round circle on your corflute using the measuring tape and pencil. Ours is 90cm in diameter.
2. With a confident and steady hand, use a stanley knife to carefully cut out the circle.
3. Paint a base coat of colour over the entire circle. We used Haymes Pale Ivy but you could use any colour you like, use a darker colour if you want to create a moody piece of art.
4. Now the fun begins! Start applying your colours to the canvas. Be random and generous with the paints you use. We began with dark blues and black and allowed this dark layer to dry before introducing the lighter colours.
5. We suggest trying a few different techniques to apply the paints – using a paint brush, sponge, dribbling technique and even your fingers.
6. Once the light layer is dry, it's time for the finishing touches. We used our fingers to smudge in some extra white paint to create a softer transition between some of the colours such as the peach and blue. Using the edge of a sponge we added a few gold accents over the artwork.
7. Once dry, glue a wire across the back of the artwork so you can hang it on the wall. Sticky tape a horizontal piece of wire in place and fold up the edges several times so the glue has plenty of wire to hold on to. Apply a generous amount of glue and allow it to dry fully before hanging your art.
And there you have our simple steps to create this abstract outdoor wall art. Do you think you’ll give this DIY a go? Be sure to tag @haymespaint and @stylecuratorau if you do!